Please select your location and preferred language where available.
KIOXIA’s KumoScale Software Demonstrates 60x Storage Improvement Over Traditional Ceph Software
Simple Software Change on Same Hardware Drives Massive Block, Object and File Storage Improvement
SAN JOSE, Calif., October 8, 2020 – KIOXIA America, Inc. (formerly Toshiba Memory America, Inc.) today announced that, in recent benchmark performance tests, its KumoScale™ storage software based on NVM Express™ over Fabrics (NVMe-oF™) technology was able to improve performance when compared to Ceph™ software. Testing conducted in a networked environment that included the NVMe-oF specification and a TCP/IP transport showed that KumoScale software’s read performance is 12x faster than Ceph, and read latency is reduced by 60%. With similar loads, under the same testing conditions, write performance is 60x faster than Ceph while latency is reduced by 98%.
Summary of Benchmark Testing Results
- Testing Environment: Test environment utilized industry standard TCP/IP transport, 100% random workloads, and triply replicated volumes for resilience in both cases.
- Read Performance: KumoScale software read performance is 12x faster than Ceph software while reducing latency by 60% in the testing environment.
- Write Performance: KumoScale software write performance is 60x faster than Ceph software while reducing latency by 98%.
- Economic Impact: KumoScale software supports 15x more clients per storage node than Ceph at a much lower latency in the testing environment.
“Measuring performance for a storage architecture based on the NVMe-oF specification is a complex task,” noted Joel Dedrick, vice president and general manager, networked storage software, KIOXIA America, Inc. “Storage dollars per IOPS and read latency are the new critical metrics for the cloud data center. Our recent test report highlights the raw performance of KumoScale software, and showcases the economic benefits that this new level of performance can deliver to data center users.”
KumoScale™ software is a leading high-performance networked storage software suite for on-premise clouds. Combining the speed and responsiveness of born-in-the-cloud software with the staying power of one of the world's largest flash memory makers, KumoScale software uses NVMe™ technology to enable flash as a service.
About KIOXIA America, Inc.
KIOXIA America, Inc. (formerly Toshiba Memory America, Inc.) is the U.S.-based subsidiary of KIOXIA Corporation, a leading worldwide supplier of flash memory and solid state drives (SSDs). From the invention of flash memory to today’s breakthrough BiCS FLASH™ 3D technology, KIOXIA continues to pioneer cutting-edge memory solutions and services that enrich people's lives and expand society's horizons. The company's innovative 3D flash memory technology, BiCS FLASH, is shaping the future of storage in high-density applications, including advanced smartphones, PCs, SSDs, automotive, and data centers. For more information, please visit KIOXIA.com.
The performance comparison testing was conducted by KIOXIA Corporation in October 2019 and utilized an identical testing process, as well as identical server clusters and five identical KIOXIA enterprise CM5 Series PCIe® Gen3 SSDs with 4TB capacities. Details available at https://kumoscale.kioxia.com/en/performance/overview.
NVM Express, NVMe and NVMe-oF are trademarks of NVM Express, Inc.
Ceph is a trademark of Red Hat, Inc. on behalf of itself and its subsidiaries.
PCI Express and PCIe are registered trademarks of PCI-SIG.
Definition of capacity - KIOXIA Corporation defines a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes, a gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes and a terabyte (TB) as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. A computer operating system, however, reports storage capacity using powers of 2 for the definition of 1Gbit = 230 bits = 1,073,741,824 bits, 1GB = 230 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes and 1TB = 240 bytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes and therefore shows less storage capacity. Available storage capacity (including examples of various media files) will vary based on file size, formatting, settings, software and operating system, and/or pre-installed software applications, or media content. Actual formatted capacity may vary.
All company names, product names and service names may be trademarks of their respective companies.
- Information in this press release, including product pricing and specifications, content of services, and contact information is current and believed to be accurate on the date of the announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice. Technical and application information contained here is subject to the most recent applicable KIOXIA product specifications.